Chefs and restaurant managers, including Marcus Wareing, Will Holland, Fred Sirieix and Michele Caggianese are among those who will be entering the boxing ring later this month in a bid to raise money for industry charitable programme Galvin's Chance.
Rumble in the Kitchen, which takes place at the Royal Automobile Club on 20 September, was thought up by Sirieix, Galvin at Windows' general manager and will see 24 participants involved in the food world battle it out in a bid to raise £42,000 for the charity.
Boxers, who also include Le Gavroche's Monica Galleti, Bar Boulud senior maitre d' Paulo de Tarso and Restaurant magazine's deputy editor Stefan Chomka, have been receiving training from British light welterweight champion Clinton McKenzie and on the night each will take part in three two-minute bouts with pairs matched according to weight and capability.
The 200 audience members who have bought ringside tickets to the event, will also be given food prepared by its supporting chefs Raymond Blanc, Michel Roux Jr, Chris and Jeff Galvin, Daniel Boulud, Brett Graham and Philip Corrick and it is hoped that the inaugural event will become a permanent fixture in the future.
"It is hoped that the event becomes a regular event which in turn will allow the Galvin’s Chance programme to continue to grow, expand beyond London in future years and to help more young people into hospitality work," a spokesperson for the event said.
Money is expected to be raised for the charity through sponsorship of the boxers, ticket sales and an online auction which can be found here .
Galvin's Chance, an initiative set up by Hilton in the Community Foundation, gives disadvantaged 18 to 24-year-olds the chance to receive work experience and training at some of London's top hotels and restaurants with a view to getting them permanent employment.
Tickets to the event itself are sold out, but tickets to a live-streaming of the event at Aura in Mayfair are still available for £35 per person. The ticket price includes a welcome drink and canapes. To buy tickets to the live-streaming click here.
The full list of boxers are:
- Monica Galetti, senior sous chef, Le Gavroche. Co-presenter and judge BBC2’s MasterChef: The Professionals.
- Marcus Wareing, chef-patron, Marcus Wareing at The Berkeley and The Gilbert Scott
- Fred Sirieix, general manager, Galvin at Windows
- Andrew McLeish, executive chef, Chapter One
- Andrew Sicklin, restaurant manager, Galvin at Windows
- Claire Koffman, Koffmann’s at The Berkeley
- Craig Butcher, editor, MSN Food and Drink
- Emile Galvin, head of maintenance, Galvin Restaurants
- Hayden Groves, executive chef, BaxterStorey
- Joseph Ryan, director, Aura Mayfair
- Kamal Manhas, waitress and Galvin’s Chance alumna
- Luigi Vespero, chef, Galvin at Windows
- Matt Bishop, chef, Saddlers of Mayfair
- Matt Wilkin, Master Sommelier and co-owner of H2Vin
- Matteo Cristini, waiter, The Hawksmoor
- Michele Caggianese, restaurant manager, Rib Room Restaurant at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower
- Neil Ramsey, chef, The Lansdowne Club
- Omar Allibhoy, head chef, El Pirata de Tapas
- Paulo De Tarso, senior maitre d', Dinex Group Bar Boulud/ Mandarin Oriental
- Penny Mallory, TV presenter
- Sara Cristini, Hawskmoor Seven Dials
- Stefan Chomka, deputy editor, Restaurant magazine
- Stéphanie Srey, Galvin at Windows
- Will Holland, head chef La Bécasse