APEX Hotels picked up the Promoting Seasonal Food award at the Considerate Hotelier of the Year Awards 2007, held last week in Edinburgh.
The Edinburgh-based company owns and operates the Apex City and Apex International in Edinburgh’s Grassmarket, the Apex European in Edinburgh’s West End, the Apex City Quay Hotel & Spa in Dundee and the Apex City of London.
In winning the award, Apex gained recognition for its commendable sustainable policies including:-
- Using local produce wherever possible in order to reduce carbon footprint for deliveries;
- Liaising regularly with suppliers to ensure menus are adapted to make the most of seasonal produce
- Supporting Scottish produce and small businesses;
- Using as little packaging as possible for deliveries and where possible, recycle or return packaging to suppliers for re-use;
- Using and promoting fair-trade, free range, organically certified and farm assured produce which is produced within 100 miles of Apex Hotels;
- Stating the origin of food clearly on menus, ensuring consumers know exactly what they are ordering and eating;
John Paul Persighetti, head chef at the Apex International Hotel in Edinburgh, said: "We are very proud to gain recognition for our continued commitment to supporting local businesses and offering our customers the very best in local and sustainable produce.
"Current media coverage highlights to consumers the need to make local and sustainable choices at home and we encourage these choices on our restaurant menus so our guests can make informed decisions."