The competition aims to find a restaurant manager who excels front-of-house, has great people skills, the ability to manage and inspire a team and who can demonstrate a strong business acumen, said AFWS.
Previous winners include David Hennigan, previously of the Crown at Whitebrook, and Peter Avis of Babylon restaurant, London.
The seven finalists in this year’s competition, announced at a semi-final held at the Westbury Hotel, London, this week are:
- Damien Bastiat, restaurant manager, Gidleigh Park, Devon
- Michele Caggianese, restaurant & bar manager, Jumeirah Carlton Tower, London (last year’s runner-up)
- Nicolas Chesneau, restaurant manager, La Becasse, Ludlow, Shropshire
- Shaun Corrigan, restaurants manager, The Grand Jersey
- Markus Ludewig, restaurant manager, One Aldwych, London
- Peter McAlister, brasserie manager, Malmaison Hotel, Belfast
- Paul Shanahan, assistant food & beverage director, London Syon Park, Waldorf Astoria
They will compete at the final of the event being held on 16 May 2011 at the Corinthia Hotel, London. The winner will receive a week in New York to complete a stage at one of restaurateur Danny Mayer’s Union Square Hospitality Group properties.