Make insurance claims for damage and lost trade quickly, riot businesses urged

By Becky Paskin

- Last updated on GMT

Related tags: Insurance

The Ledbury was a victim of riots in Notting Hill on Monday
The Ledbury was a victim of riots in Notting Hill on Monday
Pubs and restaurants affected by the rioting in many areas of the UK are being urged to contact their insurer as soon as possible, for damage as well as loss of trade.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has written to many business groups to let business owners know that many commercial insurance policies will cover them for damage as well as ‘interruption to their business as a result of fire, looting and the other damage’.

Those businesses that have not been damaged may also claim if their trade has been affected as a result of the riots.

However business owners will need to be quick as many insurers require claims to be made within seven days of the event.

Nick Starling, Director of General Insurance and Health, ABI said: “We have every sympathy for residents and business owners who have suffered damage to their properties. This is a time of enormous stress for them and their insurers will be on hand to answer any questions that they may have.

“We urge people to contact their insurer as soon as possible to check what they are covered for and arrange for immediate help. Many insurers operate a 24-hour claims line and can help people arrange for urgent repairs.”

The ABI warns operators to be careful and seek help if damage has occurred to their building, as they may be dangerous or are crime scenes.

Related topics: Business, Restaurants, Hotels, Pubs & Bars

Related news

Show more


Follow us

Hospitality Guides

View more

Featured Suppliers

All suppliers