The restaurant, headed up by chef Michael Wignall was the only establishment to receive the ultimate grading this year and joins just seven others with the same number of Rosettes - Restaurant Sat Bains, Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley, Tom Aikens, The Fat Duck, Le Manoir aux Quat Saisons, L'Enclume and Sketch Lecture Room & Library.
To receive five Rosettes restaurants must have 'highly individual voices, exhibit breathtaking culinary skills and set the standards to which others aspire.'
At the awards ceremony at the Hilton on Park Lane last night, the AA said that Wignall's food had reached 'the ultimate level' four years after he joined the Surrey Hotel's restaurant.
"The cooking style is complex but delivered with immaculate precision. Depth of flavour is stunning, presentation beautiful and each dish is full of texture, vibrancy and excitement. Michael Wignall takes a highly technical, modern approach to his craft: dishes are complex, but based on classical themes, delivering light, elegant food with clear, intense flavours and exciting textures," it said.
Responding to news of the award Wignall said: "This is a fantastic win for us and really pays tribute to all the hard work that we put in. From day one we have sought to achieve something out of the ordinary at The Latymer so to be recognised in this way by the AA and alongside such eminent restaurants is a real privilege.”
Restaurants awarded four Rosettes were Glenapp Castle in Ballantrae and the Ocean Restaurant at the Atlantic Hotel in St Brelade.
AA Hotel Services manager, Simon Numphud, said: “We are very impressed with the quality of this year’s winners, who have demonstrated intense ambition and a passion for excellence, as well as superb technical skills and innovative menus. It is encouraging and refreshing to see that there are a number of establishments that continue to raise the standards and encourage excellence in the industry”.
Five AA Rosettes:
- The Latymer at Pennyhill Park - Surrey
Four AA Rosettes:
- Glenapp Castle – Ballantrae
- Ocean Restaurant at the Atlantic Hotel – St Brelade
Three AA Rosettes
- Castle Terrace Restaurant – Edinburgh
- Coworth Park – Ascot
- Montagu Arms – Beaulieu
- The Crown at Whitebrook – Whitebrook
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal – London
- Feversham Arms – Helmsey
- Fishmore Hall – Ludlow
- Pollen Street – London
- Roux at Parliament Square – London
- Saddleworth Hotel – Delph
- Theo Randall – London
- Thornton Hall – Thornton
New Red Star Hotels
Five AA Red Stars
- The Savoy, London
- Four Seasons Hotel Park Lane, London
- Limewood, Hampshire
- St James's Hotel and Club, London SW1
Four AA Red Stars
- Armathwaite Hall, Cumbria
- Barnsley House, Gloucestershire
- Buxted Park Hotel, East Sussex
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa, North Yorkshire
- Old Government House Hotel & Spa, Guernsey
- Rhinefield House, Hampshire
Three AA Red Stars
- Fishmore Hall, Shropshire
- Killiecrankie House Hotel, Perth & Kinross
- Roman Camp Country House Hotel, Stirling
Two Red Stars
- Cloud Hotel, Hampshire