The package takes the total number of Von Essen hotels sold to 15, following the companies fall in April. Halcyon Hotels and Resorts, owned by Nigel Chapman, had initially sold five luxury family hotels to Von Essen in 2005.
The seven Von Essen hotels sold to Halcyon Hotels and Resorts are:
- The Elms, in Abberley, Worcestershire (pictured) is a Grade II listed 18th century stately home set in ten acres of parkland, with 17 guest rooms
- Fowey Hall, in Fowey, Cornwall is a 32-bedroom Hall originally built in 1898 as the private residence of former Lord Mayor of London Sir Charles Hanson
- The East Wing at Ickworth is leased form the National Trust and comprises 27 bedrooms, with an additional three rooms in a Butler’s Lodge and 11 apartments in the Dower House
- Moonfleet Manor is an 18th century Grade II listed former family home near Weymouth, Dorset. The hotel comprises 36 bedrooms and is situated near designated sites of Special Scientific Interest such as Chesil Beach
- Woolley Grange in Bradford-on-Avon has 26 bedrooms and suites in a Grade II listed Jacobean country manor house
- Thornbury Castle is a Tudor castle with 27 suites and guest bedrooms, originally built in the early 16th century for the third Duke of Buckingham
- New Park Manor, a 24 bedroom 17th century-built hotel in the heart of the New Forest in Hampshire.
“We’re delighted to have sold such a significant package of Von Essen hotels to Halcyon Hotels and Resorts which now has an excellent ready-made addition to its growing portfolio,” said Chris Day, managing director of Christie & Co, which has been instructed to sell the entire portfolio.
“We look forward to announcing further sales from the Von Essen Hotels portfolio very soon.”
The previous sale saw The Eden Hotel Collection purchase Von Essen’s The Mount Somerset country house hotel - the second Von Essen hotel to be bought by the company in a month.
Eleven former Von Essen hotels are still looking for buyers: -
- Cliveden, Taplow, Berkshire
- The Royal Crescent, Bath
- Sharrow Bay, Ullswater, Cumbria
- Ston Easton Park, near Bath
- Ynyshir Hall, Machynlleth, Powys, Wales
- Seaham Hall, Seaham, County Durham
- Ickworth, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
- Callow Hall, Ashbourne, Derbyshire
- Congham Hall, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Dalhousie Castle, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian
- The Greenway, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Lewtrenchard Manor, Okehampton, Devon