The HOSPA Scholarships were designed to provide career development and recognition for upcoming young people currently working in the hospitality industry; and hospitality students showing great promise in their course studies.
They were split into two categories: the first for outstanding young hospitality industry employees under 30 years old working in finance, revenue management or IT; and the second for UK university and college students who have excelled in their current full-time undergraduate hospitality-related studies.
Outstanding Young Hospitality Industry Employees
- Natalie Hassell, revenue management analyst, De Vere Hotels. Nominated by HOSPA president Robert Cook, chief executive of De Vere Hotels & Village Urban Resorts.
- Mareen Kroeger, reservations co-ordinator, Malmaison Reading. Nominated by Paul Watson, general manager of Malmaison Reading.
HOSPA’s Student Scholarship Winners
- Andreas Holmes-Berge, studying International Hospitality Management atOxford Brookes University. Nominated by Cathy Burgess, senior lecturer in accounting, Oxford Brookes University.
- Cara McElroy, undergraduate in Hospitality Management at Bournemouth University. Nominated by Andy Boer, head of hospitality, Bournemouth University.
- Bianca Ruxandra Anghel, studying Hospitality Business Management at University College Birmingham. Nominated by Tracy Haupt, industrial placement co-ordinator, University College Birmingham.
- Kendra Dhakal, undergraduate in Hospitality Management at the University of West London. Nominated by Mia Touzin, field leader, Hospitality and Event Management, University of West London.
HOSPA chief executive Carl Weldon said: “Many congratulations to our award winners. The HOSPA Career Investment Scholarships confirm HOSPA’s commitment to the future of the Industry, and those about to enter the profession.
“We are greatly indebted to Extegral Solutions Ltd. for sponsoring these awards.”
All the 2012 HOSPA scholarship winners won the opportunity to learn from, be noticed and publicly recognised at yesterday’s annual HOSPACE 2012 Conference and Exhibition.
The annual gathering, headlined by Cook, Grant Hearn and Angela Vickers, convened under the theme of 'ta‘ing investment forward’.
As well as the Leaders Panel, HOSPACE 2012 hosted finance discussions, a revenue management session, an IT debate and a number of workshops as well as a range of exhibitors plus a gala dinner and pub quiz to close the conference.