The Hampshire Hog hotel in Portsmouth was among the winning venues scooping number one in the list of best boutique hotels while Aston Hotel in Sheffield was named the top business hotel in the awards.
70,000 properties, including hotels, B&Bs, cottages and apartments, are currently listed on LateRooms.com and they were all invited to nominate themselves in a number of categories from boutique or countryside hotel to romantic or pet-friendly.
The hotel booking specialist then identified the winning hotels for the year by sifting through the database of genuine reviews left between 31 October 2011 and 30 November 2012 and identifying the businesses which had received the most positive reviews in the period.
Jessica Reading, director of marketing and user experience at LateRooms.com, said the awards represented a positive opportunity for hotels to gain out of the increasingly important area of customer reviews left online.
A recent survey conducted by the company found that 40 per cent of customers would not book a hotel without reading guest reviews first.
"The LateRooms.com Simply The Guest Awards have been created to showcase the top hotels on our site, based purely on our guests' genuine reviews," she said.
The only people able to leave reviews on site about a property are those guests who have booked for a hotel on the site and whose stay is complete.
"We wanted to reward the hotels that gave our customers great experiences, and we want other hotels on the site to be inspired and see what customers find most important. We have a range of categories in the awards to cover the many types of property we list, so boutique, pet-friendly, city centre hotels and many more are all recognised," added Reading.
The award winners were decided based on the most positive reviews across a number of metrics including service, cleanliness, location and general guest experience.
Winning hotels in the LateRooms.com Simply The Guest awards:
- Boutique Hotel: The Hampshire Hog, Portsmouth
- Countryside Hotel: Wayford Bridge Inn Hotel, Norkfolk
- Family-friendly Hotel: Cambridge Hotel, Huddersfield
- Golf Hotel: Welbeck Manor, Plymouth
- Historic Hotel: Old Ram Coaching Inn, Norfolk
- Luxury Hotel: Oakhill Apartments, Edinburgh
- Pet-friendly Hotel: The Mill at Conder Green, Lancaster
- Romantic Hotel: The Western House Hotel, Ayr
- Spa Hotel: The Dolphin House, London
- Business Hotel: Aston Hotel, Sheffield
- City Hotel: Hotel Megaro, London
- B&B: Armada Guesthouse, Redcar
- Beach Hotel: The Cunard Guest House, Weymouth
- Airport Hotel: Keef Halla Country House, County Antrim
- Resort Hotel: The Lodge at Meyrick Park, Bournemouth
- Budget Hotel: Greens Hotel, Milton Keynes
- Customer Service: Ashbourne House, York
- Most Improved: Russ Hill Hotel, Gatwick
- Activity Hotel: Aysgarth Falls Hotel, North Yorkshire
For full details on the top ten hotels in each category - check out the LateRooms.com website.
For more on review websites, check out our Special Feature from last year, which includes a section on how to manage your businesses reputation on review websites.