The hotel, which has spent the past four years instigating over 100 eco initiatives, beat off competition from eight other properties to scoop the award, which was judged by an array of professionals from the hotel and sustainability arenas.
The winners of nine categories were unveiled at the Considerate Hoteliers’ annual awards ceremony, which took the form of a gala lunch at The Landmark Hotel in London.
Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 winners: -
- Considerate Hotel of the Year 2013 – The Green House, Bournemouth.
Highly commended – The Soho Hotel, London and Trenython Manor Hotel, Cornwall. (Sponsored by Veolia Environmental Services).
- The Considerate Small Accommodation Provider of the Year – Bryn Elltyd Eco Guest House, Snowdonia, Wales.
- The Considerate Green Team of the Year – The Savoy, London. (Sponsored by Beacon).
- The Considerate Green Champion of the Year – Dave Bell, Chief Engineer, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. (Sponsored by Gram, UK).
- The Considerate Sustainable Food Award – Montagu Arms, Beaulieu, (supported by Sustain).
- The Considerate International Hotel of the Year – Axel Hotel Guldsmeden, Copenhagen, Denmark. (Sponsored by Gilchrist & Soames).
- The Considerate Accessible Hotel of the Year – Four Seasons London on Park Lane
- The Considerate Green Suppliers of the Year – National: Vertue (Beds). Local: Foodspeed
- Best Green/Considerate Marketing Initiative – Trenython Manor Hotel, Cornwall (Sponsored by Gram, UK).
The special Considerate Award, ‘The Good Egg’, was handed to Richard Slade - owner and Manager of Battlested’s Hotel & Restaurant, which was also the Considerate Hotel of the Year in 2011.
Each winner received an inscribed Darlington Crystal object and six months of free use of Ecompter, a carbon footprint measuring service specifically designed for hotels and approved by pwc.
Commenting on this year’s Awards, the Considerate Hoteliers executive director John Firrell said: “The International Considerate Hotel of the Year supports our intent to widen CH’s horizons and the Considerate Accessibility Award consolidates our belief that being considerate means an all-inclusive approach to the care of guests.
“Each year, entrants show their innovation, dedication and passion via their ever increasing excellent standard of submissions. I am proud to say this year has been no different.”
The Considerate Hoteliers Awards has been celebrated for over 20 years in recognition of every hotelier’s effort to make their business more sustainable. Entries are now open internationally. For more information, visit www.consideratehoteliers.com.