The winners, along with details of the 23 new inductees for the Top 100 Club of the Most Influential Women in the industry, were unveiled at a gala dinner at the London Marriott Hotel in Grosvenor Square on Wednesday evening (19 June).
Debrah Dhugga, general manager of Dukes St. James London, picked up the Mentor of the Year award; Sarah Swaysland from Be At One scooped the Stepping Up award; and Sodexo’s managing director Margot Slattery took home the big award of the night – Woman of the Year.
“The quality of the nominations for the Women 1st Shine Awards improves year on year setting the benchmark even higher,” said Simone Roche, director of Women 1st.
“2013 was no exception, giving our judging panel the unenviable task of choosing a winner from a number of exceptional nominations in each category. The calibre of our winners and the new inductees into the Top 100 Club suggests that the future success of the industry is in safe hands.
“Women 1st is proud to recognise the accomplishments that the Shine Awards showcase and we hope they will encourage and motivate both women and men to pursue their career aspirations, within our industry, with tenacity and enthusiasm.”
McDonald’s was the other F&B business to be recognised on the night, with the fast-food chain winning the Large Business award.
Meanwhile, the new Top 100 Club members are said to have ‘reached the pinnacle of their careers’, acting as positive role models by providing motivation and guidance for the next generation of leaders.
The 2013 inductees into the Top 100 Club from the hospitality industry are:
- Catherine Roe, managing director – trading, Elior UK
- Fiona Ryland, HR director, Compass Group UK and Ireland
- Franca Knowles MBE, people director, Beds and Bars
- Jo Boydell, chief financial officer, Travelodge
- Karen Davies, HR director, Novus Leisure
- Kate Nicholls, strategic affairs director, Association of Licensed Multiple Retailers (ALMR)
- Lynn Hood, managing director, The Belfry Hotel and Golf Resort
- Susan Martindale, group HR director, Mitchells & Butlers
- Margot Slattery, managing director Ireland and Northern Ireland, Sodexo
- Lynne Graham, human resources director, Westbury Street Holdings
Women 1st was founded by sector skills council People 1st to support women in achieving their career aspirations. As well as running the Women 1st Conference, Shine Awards and Top 100 Club, it offers thought leadership on gender diversity, continuing professional development training, a mentoring programme and networking events. The initiative has supported over 1,000 women since its launch in October 2009.