Nearly 190 projects from the world’s leading architects, interior designers, lighting designers and hospitality operators were on the shortlist this year, with award categories including fast-casual, multiple restaurant and standalone bar.
The Standalone Restaurant category was one of the most hotly-contested categories, with MASH, & Kitchen Table at Bubbledogs and 28-50 among the venues fighting it out ahead of last Thursday's announcement at the Farmiloe Building in Clerkenwell.
Last week's ceremony featured four different themed bar areas which were created using ‘only white products’, from four previous Best Restaurant and Best Bar winners. The four teams included the designers of Busaba Eathai, Galvin La Chapelle and Guoman Hotels.
GALLERY - The UK winners:
UK winners - Full list:
- Standalone bar or club - The Lost & Found / Kai Design
- London Bar - The Roxy / Design LSM
- London Restaurant - Tramshed / Waugh Thistleton
- Restaurant or bar in a heritage building - Apero / Dexter Moren Associates
- Standalone restaurant - Kitchen Table – Bubbledogs / B3 Designers
- Restaurant or bar in a hotel - Atrium Champagne Bar / Foster and Partners
- Fast-casual - Kerbisher and Malt (Ealing) / Alexander Waterworth Interiors
- Restaurant or bar in a transport space - Jamie’s Italian (Gatwick Airport) / Blacksheep
- Pub - Newman Street Tavern / Concorde BGW
- Multiple Restaurant - Piccolino Cicchetti / Robert Angell Design Studio
- Restaurant or bar in another space - Burgers & Cocktails by Giraffe / Harrison
- Restaurant or bar in a retail space - The Corner / Stiff & Trevillion
- Multiple Bar or Club - Baroosh / Harrison
- Pop-up - Wahaca South Bank / Softroom
The winners were decided by a panel of judges including restaurateur Tom Aikens, critics Richard Vines and Giles Coren and Stephen Alden, chief executive of Maybourne Hotel Group. For more information, visit www.restaurantandbardesignawards.com.