London's hotels and hoteliers scored highly overall at the awards, now in their fourth year, with ME London receiving the Outstanding Hotel of the Year, Opening of the Year (new build) and Best Hotel Suite awards while the The Savoy received the Green Hotel of the Year award and Christopher Cowdray of The Dorchester Collection won the Lifetime Achievement award.
Johnson, who has been general manager at Brown's for nine years, was praised by his peers for his commitment to the property and his team and for his support of the industry through organisations such as Master Innholders and Springboard.
The hotelier, who saw the 117-bedroom hotel through a major refurbishment in December 2005, said: "I am humbled to be recognised by the esteemed judges of the European Hospitality Awards, my peers in the industry and my dedicated team at Rocco Forte’s Brown’s Hotel. This marks the end of a memorable 175th year of Brown’s Hotel and I am very proud to be the general manager of such a historic establishment.”
ME London's general manager Fabio Gallo also welcomed the three awards for his hotel.
‘We were competing against some of the very best hotels in Europe and I am very proud ME London has won these awards," he said. "It is testament of the efforts by Meliá Hotels International to support this unique brand worldwide.
"The awards showcase this extraordinary hotel’s design, some of the most exciting F&B outlets in London, the ME brand concept and most importantly the dedication and enthusiasm of all our staff that has made the ME London hotel so special."
Established in 2010, the European Hospitality Awards are designed to recognise the best in the hotel industry across the continent. Judges include Hans Koch of the KKL Luzern Management AG; Michelin-starred chef Heinz Beck, Derek Wood of Derek Wood Associates; Ted Horner, chief executive of E Horner & Associates and Ann Corrigan, managing director of Hospitality Assured.
The winning hotels and individuals were:
- European Hospitality Awards Overall winner - ME London
- Green Hotel of the year 2013 - The Savoy - Sponsored by SaveMoneyCutCarbon
- Opening of the Year 2013 (new build) - ME London - Sponsored by Kuehne + Nagel
- Opening of the year 2013 (renovation or conversion) - Radisson Blu Hotel, Nantes - Sponsored by Wellness Today - Happy Sauna Group
- International Hotel of the year 2013 - Hub Porteno , Argentina - Sponsored by TV5MONDE
- Best Hotel Suite 2013 - ME London - Sponsored by Pacific Direct
- Best use of Technology 2013 - Kempinski Hotel Palais Hansen - Sponsored by Airangel
- Hotelier of the year 2013 - Stuart P Johnson, Brown's Hotel London - Sponsored by Crown - Palmiye
- Hotel Spa of the year 2013 - ESPA at The Europe Hotel - Sponsored by Fashionizer
- Innovation in Service 2013 - Lough Eske Castle, Ireland - Sponsored by Hotel Technology International
- Best Hotel Restaurant 2013 - L'Olivio Gourmet Restaurant at Capri Palace - Sponsored by Tyco - Ansul Kitchens
- Lifetime Achievement in the Hotel Community - Christopher Cowdray, The Dorchester Collection - Sponsored by Laureate - Glion