The Sustainable Restaurant Awards 2014, due to take place at Roast in London’s Borough Market on 17 February, will now recognise the most sustainable global restaurant and the most sustainable caterer, as well as the most sustainable restaurant in Northern Ireland.
The SRA said the new global award reflected the growth of its international membership since it made its Sustainability Rating available to restaurants worldwide less than a year ago, while the Sustainable Caterer of the Year award reflected the rapidly increasing number of caterers joining the SRA.
Mark Linehan, managing director of the SRA, said: “We experienced a huge growth in the sector in 2013. Our new awards recognise our expansion, with the global launch of our Sustainability Rating and our rapidly expanding contract catering Membership.”
The new additions bring the total number of categories at the awards to 19, with the majority of winners based on the businesses’ scores in the SRA Sustainability Rating in 2013.
“All of the awards in 2013 were hotly contested and we have no doubts that there will be fierce competition for this year’s awards,” said Linehan.
The Sustainable Restaurant Awards, now in their third year, will be presented by SRA president Raymond Blanc OBE.
This year, the award ceremony will boast a Scottish theme to celebrate the independence vote, Commonwealth Games and Ryder Cup taking place in Scotland in 2014. Three top Scottish chefs – Neil Forbes, of Cafe St Honoré in Edinburgh, Calum Richardson, of The Bay Fish and Chips and Carina Contini of the Scottish Cafe and Restaurant – will serve up a menu of traditional Scottish dishes to guests.
2014 Sustainable Restaurant Award categories
- Sustainable Restaurant of the Year
- Sustainable Small Group of the Year
- Sustainable Large Group of the Year
- SRA Award for Sourcing
- SRA Award for Environment
- SRA Award for Society
- SRA Innovation Award
- SRA Award for Best Food Waste Strategy
- Scottish Sustainable Restaurant of the Year
- Northern Irish Restaurant of the Year
- Welsh Sustainable Restaurant of the Year
- English Sustainable Restaurant of the Year
- London Sustainable Restaurant of the Year
- Sustainable Pub of the Year
- Sustainable Hotel Restaurant of the Year
- Sustainable Caterer of the Year
- Sustainable Global Restaurant of the Year
- Raymond Blanc Sustainability Hero