The hotel was also ranked 15th in the world in the awards, which are based on traveller reviews and opinions on the TripAdvisor website.
Jonathon Ragget, managing director of the Red Carnation Hotels group, which owns the Milestone, said “Everyone at The Milestone Hotel and Red Carnation Hotels is immensely proud at being named number one Top hotel in the UK in the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards.”
He attributed the hotel’s success and ‘considerable guest loyalty’ to its ‘personalised’ approach to guest service.
“Our philosophy is ’no request too large, no detail too small’ which guarantees an individual approach for each and every person that stays with us.”
Ragget admitted that TripAdvisor is now a ‘key driver of business’ for the Red Carnation group, with reviews now a ‘clear influencer’ on traveller’s purchasing decisions.
Jonathon Ragget and Andrew Pike, general manager of the Milestone Hotel, on winning the UK title
Meanwhile, the Chester Residence in Edinburgh, which took top prize for small hotel in the UK, was also named top luxury hotel in the UK and Europe and 3rd best luxury hotel in the world.
General manager Mark Lambson said: “Being recognised by our guests for a second year running is a fantastic achievement for the whole Chester Residence team.”
He claimed the hotel’s commitment to ‘unparalleled, personal service’ set it apart from the competition.
UK hospitality businesses performed particularly well in this year’s Travellers’ Choice awards, with a total of 26 UK properties ranked on the world’s best lists, up from 14 in 2013.
London had the highest number of award winning properties in the UK, while Devon properties secured eleven awards, meaning the county outperformed New York and Rome combined.
Perhaps the biggest British success was seen in the B&B category, with Bindon Bottom B&B in West Lulworth, Dorset named as the world’s best B&B and the All Seasons Guest House in Filey awarded second place.
In total, six UK B&Bs made it on to the top ten in the world list, while a further nine reached the top 25.
“It is great to see that Britain continues to lead the way when it comes to outstanding B&Bs,” said TripAdvisor spokesperson James Kay.
“And, with more than 700,000 hotels in the running this year, what a fantastic achievement for a British hotel to be named third in the world for luxury.”
Other UK winners included the Lauriston Court Hotel in Llandudno, which was voted third best bargain hotel in the world.
2014 TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice UK winners:
UK’s Top Hotels
- The Milestone Hotel, London
- Rudding Park, Harrogate, North Yorkshire
- Coworth Park, Ascot, Berkshire
- Swinton Park, Ripon, Yorkshire
- 51 Buckingham Gate, Taj Suites and Residences, London
- Braye Beach Hotel, Alderney, Guernsey
- Longueville Manor, St.Saviour, Jersey
- The Soho Hotel, London
- Casa Hotel, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
- The Morley Hayes Hotel, Morley, Yorkshire
UK’s 10 Best B&Bs
- Bindon Bottom B&B, West Lulworth, Dorset
- All Seasons Guest House Filey, Filey, North Yorkshire
- Saxon Villa, Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire
- Linnett Hill, Keswick, Cumbria
- Dumfries House Lodge, Cumnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland
- Millgate Bed & Breakfast, Masham, North Yorkshire
- Hawkins of Bath, Bath, Somerset
- Bod Gwynedd Bed & Breakfast, Betws-y-Coed, Wales
- Plas Dinas Country House, Bontnewydd, Wales
- Southern Breeze Lodge, Bournemouth, Dorset
UK’s Best Small Hotels
- The Chester Residence, Edinburgh, Scotland
- Castlecroft, Stirling, Scotland
- The Elmdene, Torquay, Devon
- Egerton House Hotel, London
- Gidleigh Park Hotel, Chagford, Devon
- Boskerris Hotel, St Ives, Cornwall
- The Clarence Hotel, Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Summer Lodge, Evershot, Dorset
- Stocks Hotel, Sark, Channel Islands
- Number Four Boutique Hotel, Portsmouth, Hampshire
For full details of the winners in UK and world-wide categories, visit the Tripadvisor.com website.