Now in its 35th year, the Moët UK Sommelier of the Year competition seeks to find the best wine waiter or sommelier in the UK. The judging panel – which is chaired by the winner of the Best Sommelier in the World 2010, Gerard Bassett OBE - bases its decision on wine and spirits expertise, ability to deal with customers under pressure and front-of-house beverage service skills.
In total, 12 sommeliers have been chosen to compete at the 2014 semi-finals, taking place at London’s Mandarin Oriental, Hyde Park on the morning of 12 June 2014. Three will go on to compete at the grand final in the afternoon in front of an audience of invited guests.
The Moët UK Sommelier of the Year 2014 will receive the Boutinot bursary, which includes a study visit to Piedmonte in Italy, and an all-expenses paid trip to Maison Moët & Chandon.
Last year, Clement Robert, head sommelier Medlar in London, took the top prize after coming second and third in previous years.
The 2014 semi-finalists are:
- Loic Avril, The Fat Duck, Bray
- Romain Bourger, The Vineyard at Stockcross, Newbury
- Lukasz Kolodziejczyk, Pollen Street Social, London W1
- Olivier Marie, Coq d’Argent, London EC2
- Stefan Neumann, Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London SW1
- Adam Pawlowski, Northcote, Blackburn
- Emanuel Pesqueira, Summer Lodge, Dorchester
- Damien Trinquel, Lucknam Park Hotel & Spa, Chippenham
- Roberto Zanca, Hotel du Vin, Cheltenham