The awards, organised by Restaurant Magazine and sponsored by Estrella Damn, recognise the top 100 restaurants in the UK - as voted for by an expert panel of chefs, restaurateurs, food writers and critics – with the number one crowned National Restaurant of the Year 2014.
Around 90 of the top 100 restaurants will be at the National Restaurant Awards this year and world-renowned el Bulli chef Ferran Adria is flying over from Spain to attend as a special guest.
The 2014 event is set to be bigger and better than ever, with food stalls offering lobster and foie gras bars, Iberico pork BBQ, oysters, British cheese and charcuterie and bars serving cocktails, beers and wine laid out in the grounds of the Hurlingham Club for guests to enjoy after the awards are announced.
In addition to the top 100 and National Restaurant of the Year Award, there will be a number of speciality awards given out on the night including:
- Chef’s Chef of the Year - sponsored by Ritter Fresh
- Highest Climber - sponsored by Appletiser
- Cocktail List of the Year sponsored by Mixxit
- The Service Award - sponsored by Liberty Wines
- Wine List of the Year sponsored by Matthew Clark
- One to Watch - sponsored by Lavazza
- Regional awards - sponsored by Speyside Glenlivet,
- Gastropub of the Year - sponsored by Estrella Damm
- The OpenTable Diners’ Choice ‘Fit for Foodies’ Award - sponsored by OpenTable
- Sustainable Restaurant of the Year - partnered by The Sustainable Restaurant Association
The OpenTable Diners’ Choice ‘Fit for Foodies’ Award is new for 2014, and represents the combined opinions of more than 325,000 reviews submitted by OpenTable diners between 1st May 2013 and 30th April 2014.
The shortlisted restaurants for the ‘Fit for Foodies’ Awards 2014 are: Ambrette at Margate, The Artichoke in Old Amersham, The Clove Club in London The Dairy in Clapham, The Fat Duck in Bray, The French Table in Surbiton, Hedone in London, Ottolenghi, in Islington,The Plough at Bolnhurst, and Rabot 1745 in Borough Market.
The Sustainable Restaurant of the Year award is based on an audit of the top 100 conducted by the Sustainable Restaurant Association, and will recognise the establishment that shows true commitment to sustainability.
BigHospitality will be reporting from the event and live tweeting the results. Follow us on @BigHospitality to keep up-to-date with the latest.