The 2014 awards so over 2,000 guest nominations across 13 categories, with the winning hotels judged to be the best by a panel of travel experts.
BigHospitality acting editor Carina Perkins judged the Comfiest Bed category, which was won by Hotel Indigo in Edinburgh, hailed by voters as offering one of the best night’s sleep around.
Other winners included Overwater Hall Hotel in Ireby, Cumbria, which scooped this year’s Best Service award for having a great ‘over and above’ attitude, and going the extra mile for guests.
This year there were two new awards ‘Perfect Porter’ and ‘Marvellous Maid’, introduced to recognise the people behind the guest experience.
Eamonn Phelanat The Stanneylands Hotel in Wilmslow was named Perfect Porter for his ‘candour and demeanour’, while Domini Bennett from Sketchley Grange Hotel in Leicester was voted Marvellous Made after being applauded for her ‘efficiency and positive attitude’.
“Every year our Best Kept Secret Awards showcase the wide range of excellent hotels on LateRooms.com, and 2014 has been a particularly strong year,” said Georgina Crosswell, LateRooms.com’s head of marketing.
“The introduction of two new categories really shows the popularity of the awards, and we are pleased to showcase a fantastic selection of UK hotels, to meet customers every need.”
Full list of 2014 winners:
- Best Interiors - The Grand, Brighton
- Best Breakfast - Lancers House, Sailsbury
- Best For Dining - Noel Arms, Chipping Camden
- Best View - Imperial Hotel, Torquay
- Best Eco Credentials - Lowe Farm, Leominster
- Best Spa - The Daffodil Hotel & Spa, Grasmere
- Best Garden - Tortworth Court Four Pillars Hotel, Wotton-under-Edge
- Best Service - Overwater Hall Hotel, Keswick
- Comfiest Bed- Hotel Indigo, Edinburgh
- Best For Golf - The Belfry, Sutton-Coldfield
- Marvellous Maid - Domini Bennett, Sketchley Grange, Hinckley
- Perfect Porter - Eamonn Phelanat, Stanneylands Hotel, Wilmslow
- Facebook Fans’ Hotel of the Year Award - Tylney Hall Hotel, Hook