Miguel A. Hernandez, deputy head sommelier at HKK in London and Raku Oda, head sommelier at Yashin Ocean House in London, will compete in the semi-final of the competition at London’s Westbury Hotel on 24 November 2014.
A panel of judges will score the competitors in blind tastings, food matching tests and recognising errors on a sake list, with three chosen to compete in the final in front of an audience of invited guests. The winner will be announced at the end of the day.
The winner will receive a five-day, fully-funded trip to Japan worth around £5,000. This trip will include the opportunity to visit sake houses and take the SSA’s Advanced Sake Sommelier Course.
The complete list of finalists includes:
- Jean-Paul Choi, Origami Restaurant, Belvaux, Luxembourg
- Deepak Elangovan, Hakkasan Restaurant, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Miguel A. Hernandez, HKK, London, UK
- Raku Oda, Yashin Ocean House, London, UK
- Noel Pusch, Zuma Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Andrew Rohm, BLT Steak, Trump International Hotel, Hawaii, USA