The world media has been awash with speculation about the fate of the Modena restaurant since last Friday, when a UK news site published an interview with the chef suggesting he had plans to close it and re-locate to London.
However, Bottura told BigHospitality his comments had been taken out of context, and stressed he has no intention of re-locating Osteria Francescana - currently ranked number three on the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
"There is a rumour spreading that I am planning to move Osteria Francescana to London. There is no such plan,” he said.
“If I were to ever move, it’s correct that I would most likely go to either London or New York as I appreciate both cities immensely but there is a big difference between imagining what one might do in the future and setting down a concrete plan.
“This year has seen opportunities for me to spread my love of Italy and dreams for the evolution of the Italian kitchen outside of my home country. I chose to do this in Istanbul where I opened Ristorante Italia di Massimo Bottura within EATALY in the Zorlu Centre.
“This is not a second Osteria Francescana but an entirely different proposition and were I ever in a position to open a restaurant in London, New York or anywhere else it is likely that this restaurant too would be different. Osteria Francescana is not replicable, it exists in a unique place.
“And besides, I couldn't move right now, when there is so much to do in Italy. I’m already deep into my next project - Refettorio Ambrosiano - the refectory soup kitchen we’re running during Expo 2015 in Milan and the Agrian-Gastronomy project, where future generations of chefs and farmers can learn together, is advancing well.
“It is flattering to see how excited people around the globe have been to the suggestion that I might move to London but it is important to set the record straight. There is no plan to move Osteria Francescana to London.”