Opened on 1 July, the 50-cover site at 1 Dover Street specialises in Kent-based produce, such as locally-caught seafood and Romney Marsh lamb. As well as the dining space and bar area, it also has three ensuite guest bedrooms.
It is the second site in Sworder’s The Corner House Restaurants group, which also comprises his first restaurant in his hometown of Minster, The Corner House Minster, which is listed in both the Michelin and the Good Food guides.
As with the original Corner House, the Canterbury site focuses on dishes that can be shared between two or four people, plus bar snacks, as well as a barbecue platter during the summer season. Typical dishes include Kentish confit salmon with beetroot three ways; guinea fowl supreme with haricot beans and pancetta; stuffed Stour Valley rabbit loin with apricot; and lemon posset with fruit compote.
There is also a selection of beer and wine, including local varieties such as ales and ciders from The Ramsgate Brewery, and wines from local producer Chapel Down in Tenterden.
Originally constructed in the 1570s as an inn called The Rose, the Corner House Canterbury building was then renamed as the Flying Horse pub in 1755, where it functioned as an inn with stables for travellers. It has now been restored by architects Del Rezio HQ, in keeping with the site’s history.