Joe’s Southern Table and Bar in Covent Garden has now introduced three burger options served between two moulded avocado pieces instead of a bun, inspired by an idea from image-led social network Instagram.
The Avocado Bun can be ordered as a traditional cheeseburger with bacon, as southern fried chicken with hot mayo sauce, and as a vegetarian option. Each cost £8.95, and were said to be born from customer demands and the growing popularity of the concept online.
The idea reportedly originally started in the Netherlands, after Holland-based food stylist Colette Dyke posted an Instagram photo of a halved avocado with a chickpea burger and grilled sweetcorn.
Despite the difficulties involved with switching buns for avocado, including the need to eat them with a knife and fork, and the delicate nature of preparing them in a kitchen, Joe’s founder and group operation manager Jim Robertson has heralded the new ‘bun’ as a success.
He said: “It’s not the easiest of things to eat. It can quickly turn into a mushy mess [but] the response has been overwhelming since we launched. It’s not only low-carb and gluten-free but also looks and tastes brilliant.”
Anthony Knight, bar marketing manager, said: “We’re always on the lookout for new food trends and this is definitely Instagram worthy. It’s a huge hit with tourists, healthy eaters and foodies alike.”
Joe’s Southern Table and Bar was launched in 2013, and claims to be one of the first restaurants in London to offer gluten-free fried chicken.
Food of Instagram
Credit: Instagram / @theboywhobakes/@jamieoliver/@ottolenghi/@hemsleyhemsley/@dandoherty_
Instagram can be a great way to share your business's creations and pick up new ideas and methods. Regular posts of well-shot food and drink can be one of the best way to gain followers and interest.
Here are some of the the most popular accounts to follow to get instant inspiration...
1. Dan Doherty - @dandoherty_- Sky-high recipes and delicious dishes (and many cute pet dog pics) from executive chef at skyscraper London restaurant Duck & Waffle
2. Yotam Ottolenghi - @ottolenghi - Tasty insights into the chef and restaurateur's super-popular middle eastern cuisine
3. Jamie Oliver - @jamieoliver - Despite his 4.8 million followers, it's nice to know that the chef-turned-broadcaster still posts his own stuff
4. Edd Kimber - @theboywhobakes - As the Great British Bake Off gears up for series seven, stave off the wait with sweet treats from the winner of Series 1
5. Jasmine & Melissa Hemsley - @hemsleyhemsley - The classic, go-to account for healthy, on-trend dishes (and the original source of the now-ubiquitous courgetti)