The L'Enclume and Fera chef-owner came out top on a list of five shortlisted chefs to take the title at the awards ceremony at Grosvenor House hotel in London last night (26 September).
Rogan was one of 23 individuals and businesses awarded at the event, which included a dinner prepared by last year's Chef of the Year - Daniel Clifford.
Those involved in the judging process said Rogan was 'one of the most creative and dynamic chefs working in the UK today and his food has made an indelible impression on the country’s food scene'.
The event also saw Pierre Koffmann given the AA Lifetime Achievement Award.
Award winners were selected by judges in 'recognition of excellence and success within their chosen category' and having shown a 'significant improvement in the preceding 12 – 18 months'.
All winners, who include hotels, restaurants, pubs and college restaurants, will appear in the 2017 edition of the AA Hotel, Restaurant and Pub Guides.
The winners of the 2016 AA Hospitality Awards are:
- AA Chef of the Year - Simon Rogan
- AA Lifetime Achievement Award - Pierre Koffmann
- AA Hotel of the Year for England - Northcote, Langho
- AA Hotel of the Year for Wales – The Angel Hotel, Abergavenny
- AA Hotel of the Year for Scotland - Cromlix Hotel, Dunblane
- AA Hotel of the Year for London – The Beaumont
- AA Hotel of the Year for Northern Ireland – Manor House Country Hotel, Enniskillen
- AA Restaurant of the Year for England – Lumière, Cheltenham
- AA Restaurant of the Year for Wales – Restaurant James Sommerin, Penarth
- AA Restaurant of the Year for Scotland – Inver Restaurant, Strachur
- AA Restaurant of the Year for London – Sosharu, London
- AA Wine Award for England and Overall Winner – Sketch (Lecture Room and Library), London
- AA Wine Award for Scotland – The Kitchin, Edinburgh
- AA Wine Award for Wales – The Whitebrook, Whitebrook
- AA Pub of the Year for England - The Boot, Repton
- AA Pub of the Year for Wales – Penhelig Arms, Aberdyfi
- AA Pub of the Year for Scotland – The Ship Inn, Elie
- AA Hotel Group of the Year - Thwaites Shire Hotels
- AA Eco Hotel - Battlesteads Hotel, Hexham
- AA Eco Hotel Group – AccorHotels
- AA Food Service Award - The Ritz
- AA Housekeeper of the Year Award - Nan McDowall, Crewe Hall, Crewe
- AA College Restaurant Award - Foxholes Restaurant, Runshaw College
The awards also saw the announcement of restaurants with new four and five AA Rosettes as well as the new Red Star hotels.
The new Five Rosette restaurants are:
- Hélène Darroze at The Connaught, London
- Casamia Restaurant, Bristol
- Restaurant Story, London
- Pollen Street Social, London
The new Four Rosette restaurants are:
- The Whitebrook, Whitebrook
- Winteringham Fields, Winteringham
- Number One The Balmoral, Edinburgh
- Hampton Manor, Solihull
- Paul Ainsworth at No 6, Padstow
- Orwells, Henley-on-Thames
The new Five Red Star hotels are:
- The Royal Crescent Hotel and Spa, Bath
- South Lodge, Lower Beeding
- The Bath Priory Hotel, Restaurant and Spa, Bath
- Rosewood London
- Ashford Castle, Cong, County Mayo, ROI