The group were selected from 32 candidates following semi-finals at Rosewood London on 21 November.
Entrants had to complete set tasks covering all aspects of the front of house role, including wine decanting, table layout and a general interview to discuss the role of service.
The finalists are:
- Laudy Gibba-Smith – Head Waitress, L’Enclume, Cumbria
- Sebastian Koewius – Assistant Room Service Manager, Corinthia Hotel London
- Christian Köhle – Head Waiter, Fera at Claridge’s, London
- Sarah May Coward – Senior Footman of The Glass Pantry, The Royal Household, London
- Beatriz Pinto Da Silva – Butler, The Savoy Hotel, London
- Charlotte Poynton – Sommelier and Assistant Restaurant Manager, The Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye
- Eugenio Simonelli – Junior Maître d’Hotel, Le Gavroche, London
- Michael Staub – Floor Manager, Rosewood, London
The group will now compete in a new set of tasks at the finals on 29 January 2018, at Massimo Restaurant at Corinthia Hotel London. The winning Scholar will be announced at an awards ceremony at Claridge’s Hotel on 6 February 2018.
The Gold Service Scholarship was founded in 2011 and is designed to promote the skills of young front of house staff at a crucial juncture in the career.
Her Majesty The Queen is patron of the scholarship, and presented the award in person in 2016.
“We are so proud of the growing reputation of the Gold Service Scholarship in just six years," says trustee and judge Sergio Rebecchi. "This is proven by the fact that we had a record number of applications from a broad base of hospitality businesses throughout the UK."