The candidates have been selected based on their ability in areas such as staff development, menu planning, and customer service.
On 7 January they will compete in the semi-finals at The Savoy, London, where they’ll be interviewed by industry leaders and tested on their technical skills.
The top four finalists will go on to participate in a live restaurant management skills scenario in front of a VIP audience, after which the winner will be announced.
The Restaurant Manager of the Year will receive a trophy, ‘career advancing’ training, and the chance to be mentored throughout the year by leading industry figures.
The 2019 competition is run by The Academy of Food & Wine Service, the professional body for front of house careers, which is owned by the Institute of Hospitality.
The semi-finalists are:
- Jennifer Santner, Angler Restaurant, South Place Hotel, London
- Christopher Bakowski, Alyn Williams at The Westbury, London
- Shashi Prakash, Gilpin Hotel and Lake House, Windermere
- Vincenzo Mancinelli, Hide Above, London
- Tomas Kubart, Corinthia-Kerridges, Corinthia Hotel, London
- Rebecca Galland, The Vineyard Hotel and Spa, Newbury
- Jacopo Nardini, Indigo Restaurant, One Aldwych, London
- Simon Warren, The Ivy, Birmingham
- Cedric Touny, The Blue Posts, London
- Pauline Henry, Brasserie Joël, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, London