The two-Michelin-starred restaurant with rooms was also named the top fine dining destination in the UK in the site’s Travellers’ Choice awards, based on millions of reviews left on the platform.
It was the only UK entry in the worldwide top ten, with last year’s number one The Black Swan at Oldstead in North Yorkshire dropping off the list.
Restaurant Sat Bains, which offers a seven or ten-course tasting menu, won Nottingham’s first Michelin star in 2003, before gaining a second in 2012.
"We have always believed in our team and our location, and we feel both the kitchen brigade and front of house team we have currently are the strongest we have ever had,” says owners Sat and Amanda Bains.
“It's very flattering to receive such high praise from our guests, and we are immensely proud to fly the flag, not just for our home city of Nottingham and the Midlands, but the UK too. To be among restaurants of such high calibre in the world ranking is extremely humbling.
“It's an honour to be recognised and it will inspire us to keep pushing to deliver the ultimate in gastronomy. There will certainly be extra celebrations at our Christmas party this month!"
This year’s Travellers’ Choice Awards included the new Everyday Dining category, which saw Scottish comfort food restaurant Makars Gourmet Mash Bar in Edinburgh take the top spot in the UK.
Travellers’ Choice Favourite Fine Dining Restaurants Worldwide:
1. Au Crocodile, Strasbourg, France
2. Martin Berasategui, Lasarte, Spain
3. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
4. Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottingham, United Kingdom
5. Restaurante Benazuza, Cancun, Mexico
6. La Colombe, Constantia, South Africa
7. TRB Hutong, Beijing, China
8. Ristorante Villa Crespi, Orta San Giulio, Italy
9. The Grove, Auckland Central, New Zealand
10. David's Kitchen, Chiang Mai, Thailand
Travellers’ Choice Favourite Fine Dining Restaurants UK:
1. Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
2. Adam’s, Birmingham, Midlands
3. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons, New Milton, Oxfordshire
4. L’Enclume, Cartmel, Cumbria
5. The Black Swan at Oldstead, Oldstead, North Yorkshire
6. Waterside Inn, Bray on Thames, Berkshire
7. Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Port Isaac, Cornwall
8. Aizle, Edinburgh
9. Number One at The Balmoral, Edinburgh
10. Restaurant Martin Wishart, Edinburgh
Travellers’ Choice Everyday Dining Restaurants UK:
1. Makars Gourmet Mash Bar (Mound), Edinburgh
2. The Oystermen Seafood Bar & Kitchen, London
3. Iran Restaurant (Shepherd Market), London
4. Mother India's Café, Edinburgh
5. Paesano (Miller St), Glasgow
6. Lambs Restaurant, Stratford-upon-Avon
7. Food for Friends, Brighton
8. Sotto Sotto, Bath
9. La Lanterna, Glasgow
10. Holohans At The Barge, Belfast