- Luxury Knightsbridge department store Harrods has opened a new Dining Hall, with restaurateur Eddie Lim and chef Vineet Bhatia among the line-up. Featuring six different bars and restaurants, it marks the next stage of a two-year phased renovation of the store’s historic Food Halls.
- Mauro Colagreco’s three Michelin-starred restaurant Mirazur came out on top at The World's 50 Best Restaurants Awards 2019, which was held in Singapore this week. Shoreditch restaurants The Clove Club and Lyle’s were the only two UK entries to feature in this year’s list, coming in at numbers 27 and 34 respectively.
- The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) confirmed that five people had been questioned by police investigating the collapse of Patisserie Valerie. The SFO did not disclose the names of those arrested or what they had been detained for, although according to The Guardian the organisation was conducting inquiries into the role of individuals in the firm’s slide into administration.
- Levi Roots Caribbean Smokehouse, the casual dining concept fronted by the Dragon’s Den star, has closed its single site in London’s Westfield Stratford. Posting on Twitter, Roots apologised to customers about the closure, writing: “Tried my utter most to avoid this but the party is over and all good things come to and (sic) end.”
- UKHospitality has described measures requiring all businesses selling pre-packaged food to include full ingredient labelling on products as a ‘retrograde step’, with chief executive Kate Nicholls saying: “We are worried that full ingredient labelling is going to prevent the kind of dialogue we need to promote.”
For more of this week’s news, click here.