The operators of Gulshan in Tynemouth were fined £3,767 with £2,744 costs and ordered to pay £1,000 compensation and a £170 victim surcharge after admitting the offence at North Tyneside Magistrates Court this week.
Ian Palmer, prosecuting on behalf of North Tyneside Council, told the court that the family were assured by the premises that they were able to cater for the allergy. However, the customer’s chicken masala dish was found to contain enough peanut protein to cause a reaction.
The teenager was treated in hospital before being discharged the following day.
Reports also suggest the restaurant asked the family to pay for the meal before taking the child to hospital.
The incident initially saw the restaurant’s food hygiene rating drop from 4 to 1. However, the council said that Gulshan, which is operated by Sonero Tynemouth, has been working with food safety officers to implement training and ensure safety procedures. The business has since requested a re-inspection and achieved an overall rating of 5.
Phil Scott, head of environment, housing and leisure, North Tyneside Council, said: “It’s hugely important that people with food allergies have the confidence that regulations are being followed. We’ve all seen the media reports of tragic deaths caused by reactions to food so these issues should be a priority for all food establishments.”
Last year, two takeaway workers were jailed for manslaughter after a teenager died from receiving food containing peanuts.
Awareness and management of allergens is on the rise after the high-profile Pret a Manger case, in which insufficient label information was blamed for the death of teenager Natasha Ednan-Laperouse.
In September, Pret announced the planned completion of an allergen label roll out at all sites.