More restaurants pledge to extend Eat Out to Help Out discount through September

By James McAllister

- Last updated on GMT

Brindisa and Gaucho to extend Eat Out to Help Out discount through September Martin Williams Coconut Tree

Related tags: the coconut tree, Restaurant, Casual dining, Eatouttohelpout, Brindisa, Gaucho, Martin Williams

Both London-based Spanish restaurant group Brindisa and Martin Williams' Gaucho and M restaurants have said they will mirror the Eat Out to Help Out discount through September.

Brindisa restaurants says it will replicate the offer, which gives diners a 50% discount up to £10 on all food and non-alcoholic drinks between Mondays and Wednesdays, throughout the month at all of its Tapas Brindisa sites including London Bridge, Battersea, Soho, Shoreditch and South Kensington.

It will also extend the offer in September to include Thursdays, in a bid to further drive sales.

The group is asking diners to quote 'comemos' when booking to redeem the discount.

Meanwhile, the Gaucho group has similarly pledged to extend the scheme at its own cost between Mondays and Wednesdays throughout September, with CEO Martin Williams encouraging the rest of the industry to follow suit.

The group, which encompasses the Gaucho and M steak restaurant brands, anticipates that by the end of August around 40,000 diners will have enjoyed the discount across its portfolio.

“We are equally part of the solution and now it’s our turn to give back, both by rewarding previous guests loyalty and thanking new diners who are experiencing Gaucho or M for the first time in September," says Williams.

"We encourage those restaurants that are able, to do the same. Let’s all play our part in getting the hospitality industry back on track and being part of the solution."

Yesterday (19 August) it was reported that Sri Lankan restaurant group The Coconut Tree would continue to mirror the Eat Out to Help Out initiative into the autumn​, in a bid to retain the momentum of the rise in bookings early in the week the scheme has led to. 

Throughout September the group will offer a 50% discount on all food and non-alcoholic drinks from Monday to Wednesday.

The offer will then being pared back in October, with the discount applying on food and soft drinks at lunchtimes only.

It comes as  restaurants face the prospect of a midweek sales slump in September once the scheme comes to end at the end of the month, with the final day of the discount being a bank holiday (Monday 31 August).

One restaurateur recently noted on Twitter that the business was building up to a big last day, with 241 people booked in one of the restaurants on that Monday, and only five people booked in on the following day (September 1).

There have been calls from the industry for the Government to extend the scheme beyond August to help businesses continue attract customers as the weather starts to worsen, but there has so far been no indication that it will do so.

Figures from Treasury show that businesses have so far sold over 35m discounted meals in the first two weeks of the scheme​​​, with more than 85,000 restaurants now signed up for it.

Related topics: Business

Related news

Show more

Spotlight

Follow us

Hospitality Guides

View more

Featured Suppliers

All suppliers

Free Email Newsletter

Subscribe to BigHospitality

The trusted industry reference point

Get the latest news & analysis from the UK hospitality sector straight to your inbox!