Speaking in the House of Commons earlier today (1 October), Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced that Bolton's lockdown restrictions would be brought in line with the rest of Greater Manchester.
Hospitality venues in the town have been restricted to offering takeaway-only since 8 September; the first example of restaurants and pubs in England being ordered to re-close their eat-in facilities since the Government lifted its national lockdown order on the hospitality sector on 4 July.
However, pressure had been growing from local MPs, businesses and Bolton Council leader David Greenhalgh to ease the measures.
“I am delighted that the Government has finally listened and realised the disparity and unfairness at the way our hospitality sector in Bolton has been treated," Greenhalgh told Manchester Evening News.
“I have done my very best to put the pressure on and highlight the inequality and the damage to our economy, to jobs and to local businesses, as I know many restaurateurs and landlords have, and this is now a victory for fairness and common sense, and for all those businesses who lobbied and put the case."
In an update, Bolton Council confirmed that local hospitality businesses would be able to reopen from Saturday in order to give them time to implement Covid-secure measures.
A spokesman said: "The Government has confirmed that hospitality businesses in Bolton can re-open this Saturday.
"Restrictions still apply: table service only, venues must close from 10pm to 5am, and deliveries only after 10pm (late night license required after 11pm)."