Celia Marsh, 42, from Melksham, Wiltshire, died on 27 December, 2017.
She suffered a fatal anaphylactic reaction after eating a 'super-veg rainbow flatbread' purchased from one of Pret a Manger's outlets in Bath. The sandwich's yoghurt dressing was supposed to be vegan, but was later found to have traces of dairy protein in it.
At a pre-inquest review hearing yesterday (2 August), coroner Maria Voisin said she would request a statement from Henry Gosling, founder of CoYo, an Australian-based coconut yoghurt firm, about the potential for dairy contamination in its products.
The firm is one of the distributors that supplied Pret with ingredients for the sandwich, along with British firm Planet Coconut.
Following Ms Marsh’s death, proceedings were brought by Bath & North East Somerset Council against both Pret and Planet Coconut.
However, the prosecution concluded with the Council’s decision not to continue, given the absence of evidence.
A Pret A Manger spokesperson said: “Our deepest sympathies remain with the Marsh family over their terrible loss and we are doing everything we can to support this inquest.
“Following Celia Marsh’s death in 2017, charges were brought against Pret. The prosecution ended due to the lack of evidence and as a result, Pret was found Not Guilty.
“Over the past few years, Pret has established an industry-leading approach to helping customers with allergies, through the Pret Allergy Plan. We will continue to do everything we can to make sure that every customer has the information they need to make the right choice for them.”
Voisin said yesterday that the inquest, which is due to commence on 6 September and is expected to last between two and three weeks, will not place blame or replace any litigation.