Heston Blumenthal, Simon Hulstone and Nigel Boschetti were among the winners at the 16th Craft Guild of Chefs Awards last night.
Blumenthal was awarded the Guild`s Special Achievement Award for his `tireless commitment and overwhelming contribution to the industry` at the awards ceremony at the Hilton on London`s Park Lane.
Thirteen chefs working in different areas of the industry - from education to pubs and cost sector to banqueting - walked away with awards from a shortlist of 39.
Cinnamon Kitchen, the latest concept from the team behind The Cinnamon Club, picked up the New Restaurant of the Year award while Izu Ani, previously head chef at Vanilla, was crowned Restaurant Chef of the Year.
Knorr Chef of the Year Simon Hulstone who also competed for the UK in this year`s Bocuse d`Or competition was recognised for his efforts with the Competition Chef of the Year award and The Royal Lancaster Hotel`s executive chef Nigel Boschetti (pictured above collecting his award) won the Banqueting Chef award.
Nick Vadis, chairman of the Craft Guild of Chefs, said: “We had a phenomenal number of entries this year, which really goes to highlight the passion and skills in all sectors of our industry.
“Judging this year was particularly hard and the decisions were well debated by our stellar judging panels. I would like to thank all our nominees and winners for their significant contribution to the industry and a big well done to all our 2009 champions.”
More than 600 people, including the Craft Guild of Chefs’ royal patron, HRH The Countess of Wessex, attended the event which celebrates and rewards all aspects of the chef profession.
The winners are:
• Apprentice Chef - Samantha Rowles, Sheraton Skyline
Sponsored by Compass Group
• Banqueting Chef - Nigel Boschetti, The Royal Lancaster Hotel
Sponsored by Nestle Professional
• Competition Chef - Simon Hulstone, The Elephant
Sponsored by Thorns Catering Equipment
• Contract Catering Chef - Dennis Mwakulua, Fujitsu Services
Sponsored by Loyd Grossman
• Cost Sector Chef - Michael Godfrey, Bekynton Eton College
Sponsored by McCormicks
• Development Chef - Brian Eastment , Major International
Sponsored by Elior UK
• Education Chef - Simon Stocker, Westminster Kingsway
Sponsored by Aramark
• Ethnic Chef - Mohammed Aslam, Aagrah Group of Restaurants
Sponsored by Kavis
• New Restaurant of the Year – Cinnamon Kitchen
Sponsored by Cherry Valley
• Pastry Chef - Benoit Blin, Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons
Sponsored by Kraft Foods
• Pub Restaurant Chef - Dominic Chapman, The Royal Oak, Maidenhead
Sponsored by Bisto
• Restaurant Chef - Izu Ani, Vanilla
Sponsored by Essential Cuisine
• Young Chef - Will Torrent, Bachmanns
Sponsored by Blue Arrow Catering
• Special Award - Heston Blumenthal
Sponsored by Sodexo