Held by BigHospitality's sister publication The Morning Advertiser, the awards honoured chefs in categories including roast, curry, seafood, game and desserts.
Marston’s Inns and Taverns’ managing director Derek Andrew was also given the special achievement award on the night.
Andrew, who has overseen the development of brands including Milestone and Pitcher & Piano, was presented with his award by Morning Advertiser editor The PMA Team at the ceremony at London’s Plaisterers Hall.
Geronimo Inns won food operator of the year (unbranded) and Town & City Pubs won food operator of the year(branded). Food concept of the year was awarded to Mitchells & Butlers’ Crown Carveries. The winner of Indian Food Pub of the Year was the Swan Inn/Indian Harvest, Aldreton, Suffolk.
Simon Goodman, head chef of freehold the Duke in Cumberland in Henley, West Sussex, was named Pub Chef of the Year 2010. Goodman had the honour of having a menu devised by himself served to the 350 guests attending the event.
The winners of the award’s 11 chef competition categories following cook-offs at Unilever Foodsolutions’ Knorr kitchen in Leatherhead, Surrey, were:
- Meat: Jean-Philippe Bidart, the Millbrook Inn, South Pool, Devon
- Desserts: Mathieu Eke, Helyar Arms, East Coker, Somerset
- Poultry: Benjamin Kingdon, the Cary Arms, Babbacombe, Devon
- Team: John McGeever and Matt Dean, the Montague Inn, Shepton Montague, Somerset
- Curry: Indunil Upatissa, Noel Arms Hotel, Chipping Camden, Gloucestershire
- Seafood: Philip Scott Milner, the Orange Tree, Thornham, Norfolk
- Fish and Chips: Harry Kodagoda, the Fox at Willian, Hertfordshire
- Game: Gavin Allcock, the Rose & Crown,Warwick, Warwickshire
- Pie: Justin Brown, the Carnarvon Arms, Highclere, Berkshire
- Roast: Simon Goodman, the Duke of Cumberland, Henley, West Sussex
- Young Pub Chef: Chris Carter, the Bell Inn and Hill House, Hordon on the Hill, Essex
Jo Bruce is food editor of BigHospitality's sister publication The Morning Advertiser www.morningadvertiser.co.uk