There were no new UK entrants, with the same three London restaurants occupying the list as last year.
Chef James Lowe’s Michelin-starred Shoreditch restaurant Lyle's was the highest UK entry, rising to 54th place after entering the list in 65th position last year.
St John, owned by Fergus Henderson and Trevor Gulliver, rose one place to 91st position. A long-standing stalwart of London’s dining scene, the nose-to-tail restaurant graced the very first World’s 50 Best list at 49th place in 2002.
Mikael Jonsson’s Hedone in Chiswick also dropped from 60th to 98th place.
This year’s list featured 11 new entries, including Dominique Crenn’s Atelier Crenn in San Francisco in 83rd position. Crenn won the World’s Best Female Chef Award in 2016 and holds two Michelin stars at the restaurant.
Several restaurants have fallen out of the top 50 for 2017, including Cape Town’s Test Kitchen which plummeted from 22nd place to 63rd.
Magnus Nilsson’s Faviken in Sweden, one of the most remote openings ever to enter the list, dropped from 41st to 57th place, while New York’s Estela fell from 44th to 66th.
The announcement comes ahead of the Top 50 awards ceremony next week, when the world’s top chefs will descend on Melbourne to find out if Massimo Bottura’s restaurant Osteria Francescana, in Modena, Italy, will hold on to the top spot for a second time.
In 2016 the UK’s presence on the top 50 list increased from two to three restaurants, The Clove Club (26), The Ledbury (14) and Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (45).
The full 100-51 list is as follows:
51. Mikla (Istanbul)
52. Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo)
53. Burnt Ends (Singapore)
54. Lyle’s (London)
55. Disfrutar (Barcelona)
56. Nerua (Bilbao)
57. Faviken (Jarpen, Sweden)
58. Momofuku Ko (New York City)
59. Combal Zero (Italy)
60. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana (Hong Kong)
61. Hertog Jan (Bruges, Belgium)
62. Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
63. The Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)
64. La Grenouillere (La Madelaine-sous-Montreuil, France)
65. Biko (Mexico City)
66. Estela (New York City)
67. Benu (San Francisco)
68. The French Laundry (Yountville, USA)
69. Hisa Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
70. Aqua (Wolfsburg, Germany)
71. Lung King Heen (Hong Kong)
72. Schloss Schauenstein (Furstenau, Switzerland)
73. La Colombe (Cape Town, South Africa)
74. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
75. Sud 777 (Mexico City)
76. Lasai (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
77. Martín Berasategui (Lasarte-Oria, Spain)
78. Indian Accent (New Delhi)
79. Maaemo (Oslo)
80. Le Cinq (Paris)
81. Maní (São Paulo)
82. Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare (New York City)
83. Atelier Crenn (San Francisco)
84. The Restaurant at Meadowood (St. Helena, CA)
85. Belcanto (Lisbon)
86. Odette (Singapore)
87. Per Se (New York City)
88. Selfie (Moscow)
89. Mingles (Seoul)
90. Manresa (Los Gatos, CA)
91. St John (London)
92. Twins (Moscow)
93. Le Chateaubriand (Paris)
94. Kadeau (Copenhagen)
95. Quay (Sydney)
96. Epicure (Paris)
97. Sushi Saito (Tokyo)
98. Hedone (London)
99. Florilège (Tokyo)
100. Olympe (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)