It marks the first time that a French restaurant has topped the poll since The World’s 50 Best began in 2002.
James Lowe and John Ogier’s Shoreditch restaurant Lyle’s, which debuted in the list last year at number 38, climbed four places to number 34.
It was one of two UK restaurants to feature on the list this year, the other being The Clove Club (also hailing from Shoreditch), which climbed from number 33 from 27.
The second incarnation of famed Copenhagen restaurant Noma, which opened last year, was listed as this year’s highest new entry, coming in at number two.
In total, 26 countries from across five continents were honoured with a place on the list.
Several restaurants from Spain were included, with Asador Etxebarri, Mugaritz and Disfrutar featuring in the top 10 at numbers three, seven and nine respectively.
Another Spanish restaurant, Azurmendi, was this year’s highest climber, jumping 29 places to be ranked number 14.
Bangkok restaurant Gaggan climbed one place to number four and was also named the Best Restaurant in Asia, while Lima Central held steadfast at number six and was named the Best Restaurant in South America.
Last year’s winner, Osteria Francescana, didn’t feature on this year’s list but was instead elevated to the World’s 50 Best’s Best of the Best hall of fame.
Launched in 2002, the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list is created from the votes of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants Academy, comprising over 1,000 international restaurant industry experts. The academy is split into 26 separate regions around the world. Each region has its own voting panel of 40 members including a chairperson to head it up.
Last week The World’s 50 Best longlist (numbers 51-120) was released, and featured four more UK restaurants: The Ledbury came in at number 64; Core by Clare Smyth at 66; Dinner by Heston Blumenthal featured at number 83; and Fergus Henderson’s St. John was number 112.
The list of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2018 in full:
- Mirazur (Menton, France) Best In World/Best In Europe
- Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark) Highest New Entry
- Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo, Spain)
- Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand) Best In Asia
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- Central (Lima, Peru) Best In South America
- Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
- Arpège (Paris, France)
- Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
- Maido (Lima, Peru)
- Den (Tokyo, Japan) Art Of Hospitality
- Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico) Best In North America
- White Rabbit (Moscow, Russia)
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain) Westholme Highest Climber
- Septime (Paris, France)
- Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
- Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
- Odette (Singapore)
- Twins Garden (Moscow, Russia)
- Tickets (Barcelona, Spain)
- Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
- Cosme (New York, USA)
- Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Alléno Paris Au Pavillon Ledoyen (Paris, France)
- Boragó (Santiago, Chile)
- The Clove Club (London, UK)
- Blue Hill At Stone Barns (Pocantico Hills, USA)
- Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
- Elkano (Getaria, Spain)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Nerua (Bilbao, Spain)
- Lyle’s (London, UK)
- Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Atelier Crenn (San Francisco, USA)
- Le Bernardin (New York, USA)
- Alinea (Chicago, USA)
- Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- A Casa Do Porco (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Restaurant Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
- The Chairman (Hong Kong, China)
- Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
- Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
- The Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa) Best In Africa
- Sühring (Bangkok, Thailand)
- De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
- Benu (San Francisco, USA)
- Ultraviolet By Paul Pairet (Shanghai, China)
- Leo (Bogotá, Colombia)
- Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland) Sustainable Restaurant Award