Carluccio's on the verge of administration

By Finn Scott-Delany

- Last updated on GMT

Carluccio's on the verge of administration

Related tags: Casual dining, coronavirus

Carluccio’s is on the verge of administration, it emerged on Friday (27 March).

The Italian casual dining chain is in talks with administrator FRP Advisory, which said it would “consider all options” for the company’s future.

It could mark the second major restaurant casualty of the coronavirus outbreak, after The Restaurant Group last week filed a notice of its intention to appoint administrators​ to Chiquito, while RSM was appointed administrator to Food & Fuel.

Burger chain Byron has also hired advisers​ to consider its options.

Carluccio’s CEO Mark Jones has been vocal about the company’s problems since the crisis, telling its 2,000 staff how a rapid decline in sales​ and closure of its restaurants had exhausted cash resources, and left it struggling to make the payroll payment.

The crisis talks come despite a reported injection of cash from Carluccios’ owner, the Dubai-based Jagtiani Foundation.

Ahead of the government’s jobs retention scheme, which pledged to pay 80% of workers’ salaries, Jones said the brand was “days away from large-scale closures” without state aid.

A spokesperson for the administrator said: “FRP is working with the directors of Carluccio’s to consider all options for the company in the current climate."

The restaurant chain was founded over 20 years ago by celebrity chef Antonio Carluccio, who died aged 80 in 2017.

Related topics: Business

Related news

Spotlight

Follow us

Hospitality Guides

View more

Featured Suppliers

All suppliers

Free Email Newsletter

Subscribe to BigHospitality

The trusted industry reference point

Get the latest news & analysis from the UK hospitality sector straight to your inbox!