The 13-bedroom hotel, owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Neil and Lesley McGown for 22 years, was chosen by judges from Laterooms.com and BigHospitality because of the real passion staff show for hospitality.
Despite a flash flood causing the business to close for 17 months in 2003, the McGown's carried on and re-opened an improved business where they now offer a vast range of services - from fine-dining to sporting activities - that would be the envy of many larger establishments.
Daughters Emma and Sophie, both small children when their parents converted the private house into a hotel, have remained working with the business. Sophie is now front-of-house manager while Emma handles the hotel's PR and marketing
Lesley was also winner of a Dame of Hospitality Award at the Scottish Hotels Awards 2011, demonstrating her dedication to providing top notch service to guests.
Best Kept Secrets
East Haugh House is one of 10 hotels to win a Best Kept Secret Award. LateRooms.com receievd thousands of entries from hoteliers and hotel fans around the UK, nominating hotels across the 10 categories - from Best Breakfast to Comfiest Bed and Best Gadget.
Other LateRooms.com offline marketing manager, Lynda Matthews said: “Discovering the UK’s Best Kept Secrets is always an exciting time for us. These hotels really are the crème de la crème in their industry offering beautiful food, views, interiors and services to their customers and we are proud to have them on LateRooms.com."
The winning hotels will now be featured on Laterooms.com.
- Best Interiors - Velvet Hotel, Manchester
- Comfiest Beds - Casa Hotel, Chesterfield
- Best Service - East Haugh House, Pitlochry
- Best Gadget - Ecclestone Square, London
- Best View - Raven Hall, Scarborough
- Best Eco - Moss Grove, Cumbria
- Best Spa - Rockliffe Hall, Darlington
- Best Garden - Coombe Abbey, Coventry
- Best Dining - Brockencote Hall, Kidderminster
- Best Breakfast - Auchrannie House Hotel, Isle of Arran