The Sportsman’s chef-patron Stephen Harris, who runs the pub with his brother Phil, was at the awards ceremony at Hermitage Road Bar & Restaurant in Hitchin, Hertfordshire earlier today to pick up the award from chef Tom Kerridge.
Kerridge, whose second Marlow pub, The Coach, was voted fourth in the awards, organised by BigHospitality’s sister publication The Publican’s Morning Advertiser, said: “Stephen is one of the most talented chefs in the country and it’s a genuine honour to present him with this award for the second time.”
This year’s list, sponsored by Estrella Damm, saw 17 new entries with pubs based in the north of England now holding more than 20 per cent of the spots.
High-flying northern pubs included The Freemasons Arms in Wiswell, Lancashire (6th) and The Rat, Anick in Hexham, Northumberland (13th).
PMA food editor Nicholas Robinson said: “Being from the north of England myself, it’s great to see so many gastropubs I’m familiar with voted on to the list.
“Great food doesn’t just happen in the south of England or London, but right across the country and it’s pertinent that we recognise that.”
The event also saw a number of special awards distributed with John Calton, chef-patron at the Staith House, North Shields, Tyne & Wear, named Gastropub Chef of the Year and Agnieszka Tyczka of the Freemasons at Wiswell, near Clitheroe, Lancashire, crowned Front of House Manager of the Year.
The Kentish Hare in Bidborough, Kent, run by celebrity chef brothers Chris and James Tanner, won the Newcomer of the Year title while The Port Gaverne Hotel and St Tudy Inn in Cornwall, and The Grantley Arms in Wonersh, Surrey, were named the Ones to Watch.
The top 10 of the UK’s Top 50 Gastropubs 2016 list:
- The Sportsman, Seasalter, Kent
- The Pipe & Glass Inn, Beverly, East Yorkshire
- The Star at Harome, North Yorkshire
- The Coach, Marlow, Buckinghamshire
- The Pony & Trap, Chew Magna
- Freemasons Arms, Wiswell, Lancashire
- Harwood Arms, Fulham, London
- The Hardwick, Abergavenny, Wales
- The Kingham Plough, Kingham, Oxfordshire
- The Masons Arms, Knowstone, Devon
For the full Top 50 Gastropubs click here
Special Award winners:
- Gastropub chef of the year – John Calton, Staith House, North Shields, Tyne & Wear
- Front of House Manager of the Year - Agnieszka Tyczka, The Freemasons at Wiswell, near Clitheroe, Lancashire
- Newcomer of the Year - The Kentish Hare, Bidborough, Kent
- Wine list of the year – The Truscott Arms, London
- Business Innovation of the Year - The Windmill, Clapham
- Ones to Watch: The Port Gaverne Hotel, Port Isaac, Cornwall; St Tudy Inn, Bodmin, Cornwall; The Grantley Arms, Wonersh, Surrey