Springderella will be the first event of its kind for Springboard, and will take place on 19/20 January at Kings Place in London’s King’s Cross. It will aim to raise enough money to support two more charity programmes for the cause.
Top names involved include:
- Chris Penn, boutique hotelier and former managing director at the Ace Hotel London Shoreditch, plays the stepmother (and also came up with the pantomime idea)
- Jonathan Raggett, managing director of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection, one of the ugly sisters on the show’s second night
- Peter Hancock, chief executive of Pride of Britain Hotels, plays the court herald
- Bob Silk, relationship director, hospitality and leisure team, Barclays, and Trustee at Springboard, plays the fairy godmother
- Charlotte Horler, front of house manager, Montague on the Gardens, Red Carnation Hotel Collection, plays Cinderella (Night 1); and Anne Britton, project manager at Kensington development and former executive housekeeper at the Jumeirah Carlton Tower, plays Cinderella (Night 2)
Tickets start at £17.50, and hospitality packages for two or more people apply, including Champagne and canapés upon arrival and during the interval.
There will also be a post-pantomime party, including food and drink, a DJ, and a photo booth with pantomime props.
All profits raised will go towards Springboard’s mission to help young people, the unemployed, and those facing barriers to work to gain sustainable employment within the hospitality, leisure and tourism industry. The group offers career information, work experience opportunities, mentoring programmes, and teaching resources.
Penn said: “Springboard is a charity that recognises the need to embrace change and act differently to attract and support employment into hospitality, leisure and tourism. The industry is changing, the employees and consumers are evolving, and it was about time that industry events started changing and innovating away from exclusive and sometimes intimidating black tie functions.”
“I think that a pantomime is the perfect way to show a fun and fresh new side of the industry's leaders as a backdrop to bringing together like-minded humans in support of an honourable cause.”
Anne Pierce, Springboard chief executive, said: “We’re always on the look-out for imaginative ways to support the work of The Springboard Charity and when Chris Penn mentioned doing a panto, we absolutely loved the idea and leapt at the chance.”
FULL CAST LIST
- Cinderella: Anne Britton (Night 1) & Charlotte Horler (Night 2)
- Buttons: David Armitage
- Fairy Godmother: Bob Silk
- Prince Charming: Josh Light
- Stepmother: Chris Penn
- Baron Hardup: Gary King
- Ugly Sisters: David Cowdery & Bala McAlinn (Night 1), Andrew McKenzie & Jonathan Raggett (Night 2)
- Dandini: JJ Goodman (Night 1) & Lorraine Wood (Night 2)
- The King: Bruce A J McLauchlan
- The Prime Minister: Helen Flint (Night 1) & Stephanie Wybourn (Night 2)
- The Mice: Rebekah Chaplin & David Noble (Night 1), Natasha Rashed & Kieron Botting (Night 2)
- Court Herald: Peter Hancock
- Footman: Paul Hurren