Clare Smyth MBE and chef patron at restaurant Gordon Ramsay, Daniel Doherty, executive chef at Duck and Waffle, critically-acclaimed Indian chef Atul Kochhar, and Oliver Dunne, owner of Bon Appetit in County Dublin, will judge the Italian sparkling water brand’s competition to unearth a 2015 winner from a possible 20 countries.
The global search, which attracted entries and signature dishes from more than 3,000 aspiring young chefs, will see the judges critique the top ten UK & Ireland semi-finalists across five areas: ingredients, skills, genius, beauty and message.
One exceptional contender will be chosen to represent both territories in the global final in Milan in June, accompanied and mentored by Smyth, the only female British chef to hold and retain three Michelin stars.
She said: “This global S.Pellegrino initiative is one that has gained my full support. Gastronomic competitions like this allow the next generation of Michelin starred chefs to make their mark on the restaurant world and give them a chance to get noticed on a global platform. It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to perfect their skills and cook for some of the world’s best.”
Andrea Sinigaglia, general manager of ALMA, the international educational and training centre for Italian Cuisine said: “It was a very hard task to select so few finalists from so many interesting proposals. Having the opportunity to analyse original recipes created by young chefs from all over the world was a thrilling experience and an incredible demonstration of just how much talent and love for fine food there is across the globe.”
The 10 young chefs to reach the UK and Ireland semi-final round have been named as:
- Alberto Fluttero from Le Gavroche/ signature dish Bagna Cauda 2015
- Antonio Sanzone from Caffè Caldesi /signature dish Arrosto Misto “Lu Vent”
- Garrett Keown from The Bell Inn / signature dish Slow Roast Spiced Rack of Lamb with Red Onion Bhajis and Sweet Potato puree
- Gavin Kellett from The Manos House /signature dish of Nettles with Asparagus and Garlic
- Jamie Coleman from Saunton Sands Hotel/ signature dish Aged Beef with Artichoke, Truffle and Tea
- Maria Elena Martinez Otero from Four Seasons Hotel/ signature dish Smoked Orange, Chocolate Heart, Green Tea Crumbs and Ricotta
- Mark Moriarty from The Culinary Counter/ signature dish Celeriac Baked in Barley and Fermented Hay, Cured and Smoked Celeriac
- Sarunas Godovant from Tankardstown House/ signature dish Turbot on the Bottom of the Sea
- Simone Cantafio from The Vineyard/ signature dish Rack of Lamb, Hearts of Broccoli, Beetroot Salad and Apple Puré
- Stephen Holland from Lough Erne Resort/signature dish Glenarm Whiskey Cured Salmon, Pickle Vegetables and Pistachio Bites